A dog running away is a very terrifying and heartbreaking experience to dog owners. If your dog runs away on purpose and repeatedly, it’s advisable you find means and measures to curb this situation. If the dog owner can figure out the cause of his/ her dog behavior, then it’s possible to stop your dog from running away. This article will discuss reasons why dogs run away and possible tips on how to stop your dog from running away.
Reasons why dogs runway
- If they are bored- when dogs are left alone in the background, and they see a chance of getting out, they will escape.
- When your dog is looking for a mate- intact males dogs mostly wander around the neighboring searching for love.
- If your dog is hunting-hunting breeds will likely jump over fences or escape when chasing down prey.
- If your dog is scared- your dog may escape if it’s frightened by common sounds such as thunderstorms and fireworks.
How to stop your dog from running away
If you have lost a dog or you are searching for some preventive tips on how to stop your dog from running away, here are some helpful techniques:
- Find out why the dog is escaping.
When a dog escapes, owners undergo a series of emotions, where some owners will be sad, others will be furious, while others will be terrified of their dog’s whereabouts. Many dog owners, unfortunately, do not find out why their dogs run away. Most dogs escape due to something frightening them or in search of something. Owners finding out why their dog’s escape will help stop another possible case in the future.
- Tightening your dog’s security
Improving your home’s security is a necessity, more so if your dog likes running away. You can achieve this by:
- Keeping your dog occupied with toys and other stimuli helps keep them busy when you are away, thus reducing chances of escape due to boredom.
- For dogs that like darting the gate when you open it, constructing a baby gate in your home could be an effective way to tighten your dog security.
- Although expensive, constructing a giant fence can stop your hunting dog from running away.
- Offer additional training to your dog.
You can consider taking your escaping dog for obedience training. Although it takes more time than ordinary training, its result is worth the effort. If you find the training classes expensive, you can opt for home training, but you should be careful since you can create a bigger problem if you are inexperienced. Dog owners should consider clicker dog training, an efficient and humane technique to stop your dog from running away.
- Increases your dog’s exercise
Increasing the frequency of your dog’s exercise can help discourage them from running away to walk themselves. Different species of dogs require different number of walking hours to be happy.
- Spraying your dog to curb sexually inspired escape
The practice helps lower the hormonal drive to wander around but does not change your dog’s roaming behavior.
For more on how to stop your dog from running away visit: AKC
Read more helpful dog articles: Dog Edge